Friday, June 4, 2010

One more week of maternity leave...

....and then its back to the "real world" for me. I'm dreading it.

I never thought I would feel so strongly about this, but I am ready to give up everything for her. I hate that we waited so long for her and are now dumping her off with a stranger. Fortunately, we found another couple with a nanny for their now six-month old little boy that was just itching to nanny-share, so she'll get a lot more one-on-one attention than at a daycare. She will also get to "socialize" with another baby, which granted, probably won't be all that much until she's older since she won't be all that interested. But still, its a little more personal for us. Nanny is from Brazil and speaks Portuguese and Spanish, as well as English of course, so Savannah will get to learn another language as she grows. If we knew someone who knew Mandarin, we'd have a well-rounded baby.

I'm changing my work hours from 9 am to 6 pm (or usually ended up being 7 pm) to 8 am to 4 pm without leaving for lunch. We'll see how that goes. I can tell you now that I'm not a fan. I really wish my boss was more flexible, but he's mentioned to a coworker who went to a part time schedule that he really wants us in the office every day. She's already locked up the part time option and I highly doubt he'd let two of us do that. I give it to the end of the year for Justin to either make more money and/or we get our credit cards paid down and we can re-evaluate our financial position. I don't make a boat ton of money, but I make a damn good amount and we're pretty used to our lifestyle....so we have to be comfortable with letting that go. Or maybe just have a heart to heart with my boss and negotiate something. I don't see why I couldn't work from home with the right equipment. Everything is submitted electronically these days, I feel like offices are becoming obsolete. I know though that he likes hollering out "Jennifer" from his office.... :-/

Anyway, on a happier note, in the past week, Savannah has really been smiling like crazy. She can't do much, but she can smile often and beautifully. It literally melts my heart and still brings tears to my eyes every now and then. The other day, we must have had an hour long session where she just laid next to me and we stared at each other and smiled over and over and over. I think she's becoming a Momma's girl because that same night, she wanted nothing to do with her daddy. He would hold her and she'd look around for me. Ha. I love it. I must be the luckiest person in the world. I'm sure every mom thinks that about their baby though. I am so thankful that she's healthy, appears to be happy, and that she's mine. She is perfect and I love her so much.

1 comment:

Nikki Godbee said...

((HUGS)) I know going back to work must be tough. I am here if you need to vent.